Mental Capacity Act
This session on the Mental Capacity Act will pick up on common questions asked by Occupational Therapists.
- If, when and how to assess capacity?
- Proportionality of capacity assessment, and how formal should it be?
- Difference between a person complying with something, and consenting to it
- Changing or fluctuating capacity, and how to approach it
- Executive capacity: (e.g. somebody apparently capacitous but repeatedly unable to use and weigh information at the relevant time)
- Relevance to decision-making of next of kin, and of lasting power of attorney
- Assessment of risk, implications of lack of capacity – and role of power of attorney
- Assessment of risk, implications of lack of capacity – and role of professional judgement